Friday, February 19, 2010

Layering and Covering Your Canvas with Color - Part 4 of 11 by Andy Braitman

http://www.cheapjoes.com -- Welcome to Artist Palette Productions at Cheap Joe's Art Stuff

In order to cover this blank canvas or white space I'm going to take a little more turpentine and some more color. This is a really neat color its dioxazine purple.

I'm going to block this color in without really putting much paint on. I just want to have some reference. Let's see what this is going to look like.

I got a little turpentine and a little bit of dioxazine and I'm just going to scrub it in so I have a reference. I want to make sure I have most of the white covered.

I'm going to keep the dark coming down off this bit of land. I'm not necessarily going to have it come over too far to the right. There's more reflection that way.

What I'm doing here is just scrubbing it in so I can get a look. I want this color underneath whatever I'm going to put on top.

This is a real rough linen so in order for me to cover it up and can rest control from that linen I'm going to have to put a lot of layers on it.

I'm going to lighten and blue this color up just a touch as we come forward. I'm going to add some ultra marine blue and white to the purple.

Now you notice I've switched from scrubbing to laying this on. It's going to be a lot easier now that I've already scrubbed the surface in. I can start to lay the paint down on top.

If I don't scrub it in first you can see how it drags across that surface so I'll scrub in a color first and then lay another across the top. I want to build up as much paint as I can.

I'll take all that paint and we're going to lay it down. Since this is still the coat, I'm going to give myself a nice horizontal surface to play with. You can see where I didn't scrub it in I'm having trouble covering it. I'm going to go ahead and scrub the rest of it in.

I'm really not worried about the color, I'm just trying to get a feel for it. It looks a little blue to me right now but I'll play with that later.

Part of that is because I have a messy palette so I'm going to clean it up a bit. This first layer gets a lot of paint and that's why we have to let it dry. It's a lot easier to paint down at the bottom because I have this great easel that let's me roll the canvas around.

I'm going to scrub the color in underneath there and then mix my paint up and just lay it out. It's my first coat and I'm getting a little too picky, I just want to lay it down.

I might use this straight dioxazine for right now just to make sure I've got it covered. Again, I'm using a hunk of paint with a little bit of yellow in it. The darker I get it the more those mid tones will sparkle.

What I'm trying to do is fill up this surface. I can still see that linen coming through so I've got to take control of that. I can't do it all at once, its just too much paint.

Now I'm taking a smaller brush and am going to redraw that line of the shore. Then I can stand back and take a look at what's happening.

At this stage since there's going to be some rocky surface to the shore I'm actually going to start with some white too. Just to imply some rocks along that edge.

I'm going to take what's left of my white and use the corner of this brush to just drop in some light surfaces here for texture.

At this point, I'm breaking the dark band up. I'm just putting in some lights and making sure they get bigger here in the foreground so I'll have something to work with.

It will take a while for this to dry so I'm going to be pretty liberal. I'll finish up by blocking off a little bit here on the right side. Remember my goal is to cover the canvas but I'm going to leave the sky alone for now.

So that's stage one. It should be about 45 minutes from beginning to end. Get everything layed out, get a feel for the distance, get a color palette, make sure I have some banding in there. And I'm going to stop and switch this out to the second stage.