Saturday, July 16, 2011

Caroline Jasper-Landscape Oil Painting on Red Ground clip

A clip from Caroline Jasper's DVD, Landscape Oil Painting on Red Ground, http://www.cheapjoes.com/

Alright, I stepped back to take a look at this and I like what's happening with pulling some more color interest into this foreground area. I want to beef up the darks in these shadows. You notice it's some of the darkest stuff on here but I know it can get darker without going black and I know it can have a lot more interest.
I'm going to get to that in a minute but while I have the sap green on my brush I notice I want to add a little more color in the trees up here so I'll pick up a touch of this yellow green while I'm at it too with a hint of flash of light coming in through the leaves.
It's not just this yellow green color on the ground. Some of it I see hints of up here in the tree shapes.
Alright, let me get back to contrast. Contrast is very important and I talked about value contrast, value differences. I made a value study in a couple of different versions in developing the image because I'm so focused on recognizing the importance of value differences and how that is going to create an impact, visually at a distance.
So in the foreground I want the strongest dark's and lights to reside together. In the background it doesn't really matter what value the background is. It could be all dark, it could be all light, it could be all medium. The point is it needs to be all the same range of similar values so that it stays back. It is value contrast that the brain interprets as close. It's the lack of value contrast that the brain interprets as being further away. So I'm increasing and reducing value contrast and by doing so pulling this out and pushing that back. As far as color intensity is concerned, it is bright colors pulling it out, dull colors pushing it back, warm pulling out, cool pushing back so all that combination of color theory, thinking about color for characteristics is helping the concern.