Friday, June 14, 2013

Painting Water in Landscape - Part 4 by Carmella Jarvi Presented by Cheap Joe's Art Stuff

http://www.cheapjoes.com -- Welcome to Artist Palette Productions at Cheap Joe's Art Stuff

The cool thing about pastels - they're dry pigment, and they're beautiful colors - but I love blending pastel with pastel.

A lot of talented pastel artists have these skills of blending with their fingers, they'll do a little bit and blend it. The way I work is I blend pastel into pastel and with these soft handmade pastels it works great.

You'll see what I'm talking about here. Now I am going to have to go in and do a little bit of blending with my fingers in a moment, and I'm lightly doing this. Just a little bit of pressure. That gave me that nice gradation. I don't want to go in and outline, but I do want a crisp edge there.

I'll lay the pastel on its side and not have it too delineated. I like this natural painted look. I'm losing my green but I can bring that back in later.

This is when it's great to have that practice paper. I can even come into my newsprint that I did with Conte' and just do some practice and warming up with layering colors.

This is a little bit of a brighter sky color, so I'm going to bring in this central highlight here. One of the best tips I can give - whether you are working from a photograph, a landscape in front of you or a figure - is to draw or paint what you see, not what you think you see.

I know that there are rocks here and the water is going over these rocks but if I try to do what I think it is it's not going to look right. Instead I'm coming in and I'm drawing or painting in the highlights and the shadows and the motion. In the end, whether it looks like it now or not, it will resemble the picture much better than if I try to make it like I think it should be.

I want to get rid of some of the gray and I"m going to do some blending soon. No clouds in the sky, just going to do a nice little gradation here.

This area is working and I'm getting the reflection, but this area and this area are really undefined.

I need to figure out what I"m going to do with these greens before I come in for the rest of it.

Really look for the shadows and highlights - so here's this overhang here so I'll suggest that with shadows.

I'm just going to go ahead and use this dark green to define this edge by the water. Not outlining but I need to really suggest where this edge is.

I didn't like the way that happened so all I have to do is take the pastel back over it and that's fixed. That's what I absolutely love about pastel - it has a lot of forgiveness to it. If people would loosen up a little bit more they would be a lot happier with their pieces in the end. Even if you want to do really realistic pastels - if you start out looser and keep getting it crisper and more defined as you're going - you can still use these techniques even if you don't like the loose paper style.

The building here I haven't done much with. So I need to suggest some edges. I don't want to delineate but there is texture here.

A friend of mine is a plein air painter and she will often lay a towel down underneath the easel and that's both to find a pastel that got dropped and it also helps to cushion the blow. I have dropped these occasionally and they shatter - so that helps.

I'm going to go ahead and push this back - and by that I mean adding the dark.

In my photo I have a lot of plant life here but that wasn't working as well. There's a lot of dark here so I need to come and bring this into the reflection.

Now I mentioned a little bit about surprise color. Another thing I really like about pastel is when you pick a color that is a lot brighter or a different color than what you see in the picture or in front of you. Here I've picked this red-orange and this is going to give me a little bit of pop.

The thing about surprise color is that you don't want to use it everywhere. Because then it won't be a surprise anymore.

You'll see me stepping back a lot - especially once I get about halfway through - the 2nd half of a painting I always like to step back a lot.

Thsi is very strong on the left side, there's a lot of dark and on the right side there's a lot of bright. What I want to do is add just a little bit of the surprise color over here.

You're starting to get a feel here for the water now.